Thursday, March 17, 2016

Meteor Crater and Homolovi Ruins State Park

After Bob was discharged from the Marine Corps he went on a cross country trip with a fellow Marine. He told me about going to see Meteor Crater, and I wanted to see it too. He thought I'd be underwhelmed when I saw it, but I thought it was really cool.


Holy cow! That crater is huge! The meteor slammed into earth over 50,000 years ago and left a crater that's nearly a mile across.

The crater is 2.4 miles in circumference and it's 550 feet deep.


Meteor crater is on private land and was once mined, which didn't prove to be very profitable, so now it's a tourist attraction. The little tubes I'm looking through are labeled. You can see an old mine shaft, the road down to the bottom of the crater, and a life sized astronaut figure that looks very tiny from up here.

After we left Meteor Crater we drove through Winshow, Arizona, but I wouldn't let Bob stand on the corner to see a girl in a flatbed Ford. He already had me in his huge Chevy pickup. Instead, we spent the night in Homolovi Ruins State Park in the middle of nowhere Arizona. It really was desolate, and in my opinion, the sign at the entrance station wasn't very welcoming: WARNING: THIS AREA IS INHABITED BY POISONOUS SNAKES AND INSECTS. I kept my shoes on and my eyes on the ground every time we went outside.


There were 330 acres of Hopi pueblo ruins, which were interesting to walk through.  Shards of Hopi pottery was scattered everywhere in the ruins, and were very easy to see. 

Homolovi Ruins State Park was a good place to stay for a day or two, but I was really happy to leave and head on to Albuburque and the Balloon Fiesta.

No comments:

Post a Comment