Thursday, March 22, 2012

On the Golf Coast – Panama City and Pensacola

We said good-bye to Jaime, Ron, and the kids and headed north.  Well, not actually north, more like north west because, unlike the other members of my family, I had never been to New Orleans and Bob was getting pretty tired of hearing me complain about that.  

IMG_3863
Our first stop was Saint Andrew's State Park, near Panama City and this was just across from our campsite! It's The Grand Lagoon, and trust me, it was GRAND!  The water was clear blue and so beautiful, and it was just steps away from our home away from home.

IMG_3867
Doesn’t this look inviting?

IMG_7165
Bob enjoyed fishing from this jetty and, if you look closely, you can see that the sand has a small cliff.  I saw some people digging in the cliff and asked what they were looking for.  There were tiny shells in the sandy cliff, the size shells we used to find at Cape May when we were kids.  We both enjoyed this area!

IMG_7167
After leaving Panama City we were driving towards Pensacola and saw this!  Wow!  A Blue Angels Jet at the rest stop.

IMG_7171
Big Lagoon State Park was nice too, but we liked Saint Andrew’s better.

IMG_7172
The park had boardwalks over the swampy areas.

IMG_7173
And a tower to see the beach and water.

IMG_4000
Our campsite here was nice, and the road were flat, but we didn’t have that view of the Lagoon. 

_MG_4016
They still have to warn those crazy Floridians:  DON’T SWIM WITH ALLIGATORS!  


_MG_4019
The trails were mostly boardwalks here.

IMG_4021
The park had a huge pavilion with a grand fireplace.

IMG_4025
Oh yes.  Bob went fishing and talked to someone who told him were to go to buy fresh seafood.  (Now I’m not saying he didn’t catch anything, just read between the lines here.)  Anyway, we bought five pounds of warm, spicy crawfish and they tasted as good as they look. 

IMG_7175
Don’t you wish you had some of these now?  I sure do, but we had to move on.  Our next stop is New Orleans, but our next blog features a lot of jets.  Navy and Marine jets!

2 comments:

  1. Susie,

    I love your updates! You have a great blog. Ruthie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I loved this blog. You guys are having such a great time. I found your blog because I was looking for Rev. Zombie's Voodoo Shop. One of my Voodoo Queen dolls was purchased by the set decorator for that movie Now You See Me. I'm so excited about it, but like you said, you hope they don't cut the Voodoo shop scene. I feel the same way about my doll.

    Here's the listing of her. If you see the movie when it comes out you can hopefully see my doll in the Voodoo shop.

    http://www.etsy.com/transaction/74102891

    I really enjoyed your blog today. I wish I was there. My ex husband and I used to travel and we went to New Orleans, too, pre-Katrina.

    Have a great time!!
    :-)
    Catt Alexander
    catt356@charter.net

    ReplyDelete