Monday, October 15, 2012

A Day Trip North

After visiting the Schoodic Peninsula we heard good things about the coastline in Northern Maine, or Down East as Mainers call it, so off we went for a day trip.
IMG_4975
Our first stop was Campobello Island, were we saw the East Quoddy Lighthouse. 

IMG_4970
If the tide is out you can cross to the island the lighthouse is located on by walking across the rocky beach and going up a long rusty looking staircase. 

IMG_4979
We spotted these old boats laying on their sides along the shore and wondered if they were wrecked here, or if it’s just the boat junkyard.

IMG_4980
Did you know that the Roosevelt Family had a summer home on Campobello Island?  It’s in Canada, but maintained jointly by the United States and Canada as an International Peace Park. 

IMG_4983
It’s called the Roosevelt Cottage, and is a “small” thing with only 34 rooms.  Wow!  They were seriously rich people, those Democrats.  (Sorry, I just couldn’t resist that comment this election year.)

IMG_4985
All the furnishings and photographs the Roosevelt family had are still there, only now they’re labeled.  It was on Campobello Island that FDR contracted polio.

IMG_4986
This must have been their family room.  There’s a huge Harvard banner hanging over the fireplace.

IMG_4991
The dining room was quite nice, and the megaphone on the left was used to call the children in for dinner.

IMG_4992
I think there are 18 bedrooms, and they’re all very nice.

IMG_4993
This is a cozy bedroom with a window seat to sit and read.

IMG_4994
The children had their private classroom in this cottage.

IMG_4995
I forget who’s bedroom this was, but I like the model plane hanging from the ceiling.

IMG_5001
I think my Grammy had a stove like this one in her kitchen.  Good things came from my Grammy’s stove, but I’m so glad I don’t have to use one like it.  Mrs. Roosevelt was ok with it because her cooks did all the work.

IMG_5006
I’m sure they’re happy they had maids to do their laundry because it doesn’t look like it was much fun working with this equipment.

IMG_5010
We went to Key West, the Southernmost town in the U. S., and stopped in Lubec, the Easternmost town.  I told Jaime I wanted to visit the Northernmost and Westernmost towns too, and she reminded me that the Northernmost would be in Northern Alaska.  Too cold!  Maybe we should stick to Continental USA.

IMG_5012
Bob and I really like mustard, and we found the only stone ground mustard mill in the Northern Hemisphere.  We bought some, so come for a visit and taste!

IMG_5014
This guy was guarding the harbor in Eastport. 

IMG_5020
One afternoon I saw a little clip on TV about someone who harvests sea salt and I told Bob I wanted to see that too.  Sure enough, we found him and he was very happy to show us his operation.

IMG_5021
He pumps sea water into greenhouses like this and lets it evaporate.

IMG_5023
He proudly showed us the finished product.

IMG_5024
He showed us how he smokes some of the salt on apple wood.  It’s pretty tasty, so come for a taste of that too!

We have many more pictures from Bar Harbor and Acadia, so keep watching for updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment